Richland One Spends Hundreds on Hams
By Trevor Lightbody
A quick look at the online check registers for September 2010 for Richland District One shows some unusual expenditures.
- A total of $705 was spent on catering from Heavenly Caterers. Some $230 was spent on Sept. 3 and $475 spent on Sept. 24.
- More than $800 was spent on catering from Honey Baked Ham. Some $386.10 was spent on Sept. 3 and $416.80 spent on Sept. 24.
- A total of $5,519.32 was spent on catering services from Houstons Enterprise Catering Services. On Sept. 3, $1,930 was spent; $1,431.78 was spent on Sept. 10 and $2,157.54 was spent on Sept. 24.
- Richland One laid out $2,478.00 on catering from A&J Catering during September. That included $1,328 on Sept. 10 and $1,150 on Sept. 28.
- Coffee services from Merus Refreshment cost the district $344.44 during the month, with $292.15 being spent on Sept. 10 and $52.29 on Sept. 17.
- On Sept. 24, Richland One spent $1,439.30 on rental storage spaces from Mobile Mini.
- Throughout the month of September $26,942.46 was paid to Snelling Personnel Inc. for “temporary services.”
- Travel expenses for district employees totaled more than $32,000 during the month.
Richland District One is one of 80 school districts in South Carolina that has put its check register online. It can be accessed at the S.C. Comptroller General’s website.
Trevor Lightbody is a student at the University of South Carolina. He can be reached at (803) 779-5022.