A quick look at the online check registers for Allendale County School District during October 2010 shows a handful of expenditures which may raise a few eyebrows.
- Nearly $5,000 spent at Krispy Kreme on Oct. 21;
- More than $2,600 spent at Carowinds amusement park on Oct. 26; and
- Three different payments made to Butler’s Florist. On Oct. 14 two checks were written for $195.48 and $169.22, and on Oct. 22 a check was written for $43.20.
Also during the month of October, eight different checks were written by the district to hotels around the state, totaling $2,860.51. Here’s a breakdown:
- On Oct. 14, $123.63 was spent at the Hampton Inn Suites in Charleston;
- On Oct. 14, $462.00 was spent at the Hilton in Greenville;
- On Oct. 14, $729.61 was spent at the Springhill Suites in downtown Columbia;
- On Oct. 18, $251.46 was spent at a Best Western Carolina Beach Resort;
- On Oct. 18, $228.80 was spent at the Hilton in Greenville;
- On Oct. 19, $425.22 was spent at the Sheraton in Myrtle Beach;
- On Oct. 22, $373.23 was spent at the Sheraton in Myrtle Beach; and
- On Oct. 28, $266.56 was spent at an Embassy Suites Resort.
The Allendale County School District is one of 80 school districts in South Carolina that has put its check register online. It can be accessed at the South Carolina Comptroller General’s website.