By Jane Page Thompson
A quick glance at the online check registers for Aiken County, the city of Aiken and the Aiken County School District shows several expenditures that catch one’s attention.
- The city of Aiken spends more than $12,000 a year to maintain Gold’s Gym memberships for city employees.
- The Aiken County School District spent more than $5,900 during the last three months of the 2009-10 school year on legal fees.
- On June 10, 2010, The Aiken County School District spent $2,750 at the Hampton Inn-Haywood.
- Aiken County shelled out $70.62 on March 6, 2010, to Bobby’s Bar B-Q.
- The county also paid out nearly $360 in December to another area restaurant, Aiken Wife Saver.
Jane Page Thompson is an accredited land consultant and realtor from Aiken. She is active in her community and is involved in local political party grassroots development.